Monday, January 10, 2011

Straight Up

Have you ever felt like your life was being overrun by songs from the 80s and 90s? Now, wait, don't think I'm crazy. I had a song from Toto stuck in my head while I was taking my Civics EOC and from that point on the songs seem to be everywhere. A little "You Give Love a Bad Name" on a status, some "I'm like a bird, I gotta fly away" on the radio while driving, someone half making fun of me for having Aaron Carter on my iPod and then tonight, a song which sadly defines my state of mind, "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul. You probably know the song I'm talking about, but if not you can click here and take a listen. And in keeping with the theme I'm listening to Supertramp while writing.

Now at one point on this blog I really wanted to write a post about being frank and honest and I guess now is as good a time as any. But it's more about relationships than just general life. Once I wrote a little something that went:

Just be honest with me baby
And listen when I speak.
It's enough to make me happy
When I know most talk is cheap.
Isn't that what everyone wants? To have honesty and openness and genuine listening from another person? It should be simple. We should be able to say how we feel. Even if what we're saying isn't what someone necessarily wants to hear. Just honesty. I wish I could just say, "I want to know you. I don't know you now, but given the chance, I would love to." And if the person I said that to responded with, "Maybe that's too much for me. But I'll give it a shot." then I'd be happy with that because it's honest, it's open, it's genuine. Or even if they said, "I have no interest in knowing you." that would be okay too. I kind of stand by the thought than on most occasions knowing is better than not knowing.
"I need some information, please."
More on this some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there,