Friday, December 3, 2010

Kitty City/Palace/Town Experiences

Tonight I served my community by working at a local domesticated animal rescue shop called Kitty City in downtown Concord. I brought along my friend Andrew Singleton who also helped around the shop and assisted me in the work. As soon as we arrived we were casually debriefed and then given a range of task to perform.

1. First, we moved 5 cats from a play room back into their cages. We had our hands full with the young and lively kitties who were reluctant to stay still, and some even to be held.

2. Second, we cleaned out one of the front window displays which held two young dogs. We prepared their carriers, then I removed the waste papers that were lying on the floor, and afterward I mopped the small area.

3. Third, we folded a large basket of towels and cat hammocks that were to be used in the cat cages and put them away .

4. Finally, the task which occupied the majority of our time at Kitty City, was cleaning out the litter boxes most of the cats and replenishing their food and water if necessary.

Interspered with these tasks were short periods of time where we could hold and play with the cats and dogs, learn their names, characteristics, and individual personalities. Also, during the time we interacted with other volunteers and staff and shared our experiences with service projects. I found the 3 hours to be very rewarding and also quite tiring.


I faced a plethora of small difficulties and challenges while working at the shop. The most prevalent of which was my terrible gag reflex. While cleaning out the dog display and the litter boxes the aroma (which came in wafts and very unexpectedly) and sight of the waste (such as a large puddle of liquid poop) was almost enough to make me run from the general area. I couldn’t abandon my friend or the task though, so I had to charge on. Another issue we faced was carrying the mop water back and forth. Not only was the container quite heavy, there were also changed in the floor levels between areas and stairs. The most fun challenge though, had to be chasing cats around who had escaped their areas while we were cleaning or refilling their food and water. It was almost like a little rodeo right there in the shop.


There were also some very rewarding moments during the time I spent there. During our first task I had to face a particularly obstinant and skittish kitty, named Sir Purr. The other ladies wished me good luck on wrangling the little creature as I walked into the room. The cat immediately hid behind the play equipment and whenever I approached he further retreated. I remembered how my cat, Bay, used to act when my mom first got her and so I tried to be as calm and gentle as possible. I knelt down near the cat and slowly offered my hand to him. He walked over acautiously and sniffed it. Soon, he was rubbing his head all over my hands and I was able to scoop him up and take him back to his cage. Also, during the night I helped another volunteer to start a dryer. She couldn’t figure out why the machine wouldn’t start and it only took me a few seconds to find the problem. I felt proud and glad that I could help her. One of the more scary accomplishments was surviving an all-out attack by atleast 50 or so cats, (Just kidding, only about 6 or so, but still.) The cats were all playing in the other front window, opposite from the dog display, and I decided I would go have a visit with them and pay attention to them. As I opened the door, all of the cats in the small room stampeded towards the door. I placed my foot in the crack so they wouldn’t run out, and a white spotted cat started climbing up my leg. I screamed as the cat was dangling from my thigh with it’s claws shoved into my flesh. Then it climbed up on the screen door and tried clawing it’s way out of the room. Meanwhile all the other cats were swarming around my feet. I shut the door as quickly as possible and ran away from it. I was very glad I did not receive any worse damage.

I took away a from the experience a feeling that I could definitely be responsible for the sort of jobs I was doing. I also learned some of the inner workings of the shop. I realized how much fun I can experience while serving others. Working wasn’t a bore or a chore and the attitude I brought to it affected the whole night. When I commit to a project and feel strongly about it, I can accomplish anything.


:D I really loved hanging out with Andrew and laughing with him while scooping poop. We also got some icecream which I ate most of, talked to a girl from Concord, and took a lot of pictures for my project. It was fun. <3


I'll talk about the field trip to the government center tomorrow. Now, shower and sleep.


P.S. Original rap I started making after mopping.


This is why I mop.

This is why I mop.

This is why this why

This why I mop


I mop outside

and then I stop

This is why this is why

This why I mop


Roll up to the place: straight volunteer swag

They offered me a mop, I said, "Gimme a grab."

Workin' real hard from 5 till 8

You know I show up early-then I stay late.

The other volunteers they holla at me

cuz no better worker they ever did see

I'm mopping up the poop, and and the pee and the spills

I'm cleaning out the litter and I'm feeling a lil ill.

You know it's true how I luh me some kitties

The smart ones, the fat ones, the ones that are pretty.

I hold em, I squeeze em, I catch em running wild

y'know they my babies, yeah, Bay is my child.

Nothing better than lending a hand

If you haven't done it-you wouldn't understand

Just doing your thing for the good of the rest

At the end of the day, it's you who feels blessed.

So, yo dawg, this rap has gotten cheesy

But don't blame me, my rhymes don't come easy.

All I wanted to tell you was how I lent a hand

And to get out there and help, that's an order: a demand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there,