Saturday, August 1, 2009

SC Reunion Fun and a New Month (hasjustbegun)

Yarr matey! Wow, I'm not a pirate..Anyways, just recently got back from our second family reunion this summer. It was pretty great and fun but now I'm super tired from the traveling. This morning we got up around 9:30 and had some pancakes then picked up my little cousins Tori and Lexa so they could ride down in our van. Mariah and I read and listened to my iPod and slept mostly. Tori was out like a light shortly after a game of uno and Lexa, reluctantly followed. For a while she would turn around occasionally just to smile at us or tell us things. According to her she's getting her ears pierced, for her 10th birthday. They are growing up so fast and it makes me smile. About the time we were getting there I tried to go to sleep to no avail, but then was woken by the expectant air in the van. (That expectant air gets in my ears and makes me twinge a bit and wakes me up anytime we get someplace worth going.)

The reunion was at a little church down in SC someplace or the other. We walked in in a generally awkward fashion and made ourselves nametags. Then mother decided she wanted to show us around to people we haven't seen in a long time. "And these are my girls, Mariah and Mikaella." she would say, pointing to one of us in turn.I think she'll always say that, "my girls", even when Mariah is 25 and I'm 23, or some age around there, when most would find the term "women" suitable for our description.

We met and greeted and took some pictures and then prayer was said, and in true southern fashion, we ate. After the meal the girls and some other little ones were anxious to go outside on the playground equipment and seesaws. As it turns out, neither I or Mariah could remember a time when we had seesawed. So the children ran around as they do and we sat on a seesaw trying to see if we could balance out our weight. (And we did.) It was kind of muggy out but generally nice and we stayed for a while.

When the air conditioning was calling we came back inside and had our family picture made with my cousins and aunt and uncle and grandmother. Finally we all got the feeling it was time to leave and headed out around 2:30. Hugs were given and goodbye's said and I slept all the way home.



As for the start of August, let it come, I suppose. There's nothing I can do to stop it so I just won't try. The word August in and of itself makes me think of cookouts, a bit of chill in the air, new pencils and paper, haircuts and shopping for new school clothes. Not all of which I would mind.So, Happy August and welcome back to real life after Summer.


Currently Listening To-Puttin' on the Ritz by Taco (Covered by Shiny Toy Guns)

3 comments:

  1. At first I didn't know what you meant by "expectant air" and I was a little confused. Nice post(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post. It was very good look into what you did today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Puttin' on the Ritz
    We just listen to that today. At the moment that is the best song. August I cant believe we are now in the 2010 summer and august is coming all to soon and we will be 10th graders. We must figure out what classes we have together.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there,